Freunde
Suche
In Planung: "Orlando Thrill Park" Gehe zu Seite Zurück  1, 2, 3
Autor Nachricht
Der Der Dongt
Aufsteiger

Deutschland . BY

Link zum Beitrag #833917 Verfasst am Donnerstag, 21. April 2011 09:54 Relax
Es hat ja eh keiner wirklich daran geglaubt aber ich hätte mich trotzdem gefreut wenn der Park gebaut worden wäre. Vor allem vernünftig gemanagte Parks hätten dann später von dem Ausverkauf der doch ordentlichen Coaster profitiert! S

Zitat Orlando thrill-ride park rejected by city planning board over noise concerns

A thrill-ride park proposed for the north end of International Drive was rejected Tuesday by an Orlando zoning board in a surprise, unanimous vote because of concerns that roller coasters filled with screaming customers would harm a nearby neighborhood.

The city's Municipal Planning Board voted 9-0, with two members abstaining, to deny the zoning and land-use changes requested by backers of Orlando Thrill Park. The decision followed an hour-and-a-half-long presentation by the developers and about two hours of public comment, during which Tangelo Park residents were generally critical of the project, though the board of the neighborhood's civic association unanimously supported it.

Residents painted a portrait of a tightly knit community "seasoned with neighbors that you know," many of whom have lived in their homes for decades. They said they were worried about how noise and traffic generated by the park would affect property values and the quality of life in the 60-year-old neighborhood.

After planning board members cast their votes, residents expressed appreciation that board members had taken their concerns to heart.

"Too many times it's all about business, and it's all about the bottom line, and in general people are left out," Jana Henry, one of those who spoke at the meeting, said after the board's vote. "And I do not believe that's what happens here."

The volunteer members of the Municipal Planning Board advise the Orlando City Council on a variety of zoning and land-development issues. The city's planning staff had recommended that the board approve the thrill-ride park — but with restrictions to ensure a buffer for residents living in Tangelo Park, which borders the 78 acres on which the thrill park would be built.

Now that the park's application has been denied, the developers have five days in which to consider an appeal. Ultimately, any appeal would wind up going to the City Council.

The developers wouldn't comment after the meeting; a spokesman said they planned to "regroup."

During Tuesday's hearing, board members focused on the noise issue, attempting to dissect an acoustical study provided by the developers. They also questioned city staffers about the process for responding to noise complaints. In the end, the number of unknowns appeared to doom the project.

"I have concerns. … Are these people going to be living with some level of sound that I, sitting here, don't really understand?" board member Stuart Buchanan said. "I just wonder what we're getting into."

Buchanan, who lives downtown, said he has firsthand experience dealing with noise from nearby businesses. Other board members suggested that the thrill-ride park is probably a good project in the wrong location.

Rochell Hodge said she supported the project but wanted in writing promises made by the developers to the neighborhood.

"I personally agree [with the project], because I think it would create jobs," she said.

The project's developers, in addition to appealing the decision, could chose to build the project on another piece of land — something favored by some of the Tangelo Park residents who spoke.

OTP Group LLC, the group of local theme-park consultants behind the project, said after the hearing it is committed to the property's owner and partner, Jorge Ortega of I-Drive Investors LLC.

Quelle: orlandosentinel.com os-orlando-thrill-park-zoning-20110419,0,3212546.story
Gehe zu Seite Zurück  1, 2, 3 Nächster neuer Beitrag in diesem Forum Nächster neuer Beitrag