Autor Nachricht
MilitaryDuckJock
Einsteiger Iain Hendry
Kitchener-Waterl...
Kanada

Link zum Beitrag #163470 Verfasst am Dienstag, 12. Juli 2005 02:02
Themenersteller
Relax
I went to the Wisconsin Dells and SixFlags Great America this weekend with my friend Michael. I haven't been to the Dells since I was about 10, and I'd never been to Great America, despite the fact I've been in Chicago at least 10 times, and about 3-4 times in the past 6 months! I designed a piece of high speed assembly automation that is installed at a plant not far from Great America, but as things go in industry, when you go on site, you see little other than the inside of the plant.

Friday was Canada Day and a holiday for us Canucks. So early Saturday morning we drove to the Dells. After a few spins on the amazing Hades (which I think is my favourite wooden coaster!), I still hadn't spied the Robocoaster, but thankfully some other people in the station for the ride confirmed it was indeed at the park - actually, hiding behind the new Zamperla Disk'O.

The KUKA KR 500 is installed as far away from the entrance as I think it could have been! It's hiding way back away in a corner on a patch of grass between a go-cart track and a waterslide. No one was by it when I started riding, but shortly after I took a few spins a crowd had formed. I'd take 5 rides or so and then we'd go back to riding Hades, until Michael would get sore of that, and then I'd go ride the Robocoaster for an hour or so S Most people were riding on setting 1 (since it's free). It's $2 for levels 2-5. Each time I'd ride, a little crowd would form, and I'd be bombarded with questions when I'd get off! It was great. S People thought I worked for KUKA! I do work with KUKA robots, so the background helps.

Originalfoto anzeigen

The machine is gorgeous and it's absolutely my favourite "Ride". I hesitate to call it that, because it's not a ride - to call it that I think is gravely disrespectful. The machine premiered I think in Chicago at the Robotics and Vision show a few years ago where it made waves as the first robot to handle a 500 kg payload. There it was lifting I think a KR 350 high above the crowd (I might be confusing that with the display by ABB, I can't quite remember). Ever since I've desperatley wanted to ride one.

Video of me on the KUKA KR-500 - MPEG, 7.3 MByte

Avalanche at Timber Falls was fantastic, too. There was nobody there and the weather was perfect, so we could just sit on the train as long as we wanted. Sadly, we didn't have time to do much else, like the Wisconsin Dells Ducks, or any of the incredible Tommy Bartlet shows.

Originalfoto anzeigen
Heading up the lift on Avalanche.

Originalfoto anzeigen
A lot is crammed into a small space at Timber Falls!

Originalfoto anzeigen
A train for Hades waits to dispatch in the warm late afternoon sunlight.

Originalfoto anzeigen
Hades dives underground.

Remainder of the photos from Friday at the Wisconsin Dells

-Iain
Wheels: 2006 smart fortwo cdi + Cagliari G1A
Nächster neuer Beitrag in diesem Forum Nächster neuer Beitrag